Pages

Alliance Justice and Compassion resources and promotes the local and global ministries of The Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada that seek to bring wholeness and well-being to people made vulnerable by circumstances of poverty, disaster, and injustice. May the stories and thoughts inspire the reader to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.


Wednesday, October 16, 2019

3 Things to Consider on World Food Day




Today is World Food Day, a United Nations designated day to remember 821 million people in the world who do not have enough food to eat. For those of us who live in a context of plenty, let's  pause and consider three things:

1. Where does my food come from?

  • Who grew/raised the food I eat? (Grains, fruit, vegetables, meat, etc.) 
  • Was it mass produced? Was it sustainably grown to ensure a healthy environment? 
  • Who produced the prepared food I eat? (Bread, cookies, pasta, ketchup, etc.)
  • How and from where is the food transported to where I buy it? 
Reflecting on these things can serve to make us more grateful for the food we eat and for the farmers and food producers that make it available for us.

2. What are my consumption habits?


- Do I plan my meals before I shop?
- Do I purchase only the quanitities I need?
- Do I mostly eat prepared/packaged foods?
- Do I seek to purchase food grown/raised locally?
- Do I intentionally eat seasonal available foods?
- How much food packaging do I throw away?
- How much food do I throw away?
- Do I practice hospitality and eat meals with friends or neighbours?




Reflecting on these questions can motivate us to become more conscientious about our eating and purchasing habits. 


3. Who are the 821 million and why are they hungry?


  • People who live in chronic poverty and don't have the resources to purchase or grow food.
  • People who live in isolated communities and don't have access to food, or can't afford the exhorbitant prices if food is available.  
  • Smallholder farmers who historically have grown their own food who are now experiencing changing climates that has brought drought or soil degradation. 
  • People who are displaced by war, conflict, or natural disaster, including the increasing extreme weather systems. 
  • Gender inequality - men and boys prioritized for household food consumption.
  • Economic crises - people who live in countries with extreme inflation and food has become unaffordable.

Reflecting on these realities may prompt us to learn more about people who live with these realities both here in Canada and around the world and also inspire us take action to pray for them, to support organizations providing food, nutrition, or agriculture programming. We may even find ourselves wanting to advocate for causes of food justice and food sovereignty.  

#WorldFoodDay; #FaithAndHopeInAction; #EndWorldHunger

No comments:

Post a Comment